I can't help but wonder if Sartre was at Topkapi palace when he said "Hell isn't a place.. Hell is other people". Queues, queues, queues. Even a queue to exit the place. Kindly, they offer complimentary wheelchairs. Unfortunately they do not offer any ramps or accessible routes. We made it about 100m before we realised we were not going to get far with wheels. It was standing up from the wheelchair to get over a step that my camera fell from my lap and had an unfortunate experience with concrete and gravity. (all photos from this point on are now courtesy of my dad’s camera) This I can take in my stride. Not so the throngs of people wanting to do sexy poses and cute couple photos in every single room of the harem and the rest of the palace. Not sure why they come if all they want are photos of themselves. To show I am fallible and also a hypocrite I have included some photos of myself (looking particularly grumpy in front of very pretty tiles). Enough whinging. We then went to the cisterns which were AMAZING. Dark and dank, spooky ambient soundtrack, huge fish swimming in the waters, bizarre and unexplained medusa heads, – all lying undiscovered under the city of Istanbul until very recently. Totally my cup of tea.
No comments:
Post a Comment