Today we did Delphi. For some reason I always had envisioned the oracle hanging out at a modest chapel carved into a rocky cliff. I must not have listened closely to this bit in Mrs.Miller's Greek History class. (Too busy reeling from the sting of the Oedipus story. ) Turns out Delphi is a huge complex with temples, ampitheatre and a huge stadium which quietly puts the Olympia one to shame. Though not many people see it as its a bit of a hike the tour guides on tight schedules tell the bus people "there is nothing to see up there". Ancient Greeks certainly have a knack for building their monuments in the most beautiful places. Tomorrow we see the cliff top monastaires (I remembver Mrs Miller showing us these on SLIDES - on a slide projector! Old school!). Thats out last full day in Greece. Then its back to Athens for a sleep and onto Turkey. Sad to leave but happy for the next adventure.
No comments:
Post a Comment