Friday, 5 October 2012

day 22 - kalambaka to athens

Today we did two of the Meteora Monasteries. A bucket list item. My imagination was completely tweaked by these monasteries when I learnt about them in Mrs Miller's class, way back when. I was so so excited and not at all disappointed. Completely amazing the lengths people will go to get away from society. Loved it. Then a long trip back to Athens. Now I not only have driving through Athens under my belt - but driving though Athens during a riot under my belt. We knew the trip back into town would be stressful enough. The ante was upped considerably as hundreds of riot cops were quickly deployed on every corner around us and police zoomed in from every which way. There is not a feature on Garmin for avoiding protests but with stealthy fortitude we found our way back despite the roads closing in all around us. A drink looking over the Acropolis. Dinner at the restaurant around the corner where we now greeted like friends and feel like locals. And that is it. Goodbye Greece. Its been wonderful.

1 comment:

Kerrie said...

I think Mrs Miller's ears have been burning.